On June 21, 1953, a small group of dedicated believers met in front of the old barbershop at the corner of Pine Hills Road and Colonial Drive (now the Sun Trust Bank). God “called out” this small group with a clear vision from the very beginning: “to be zealous in our efforts to advance the kingdom of our Savior!”
First Baptist Church of Central Florida, (formally First Baptist Church of Pine Hills), began as a mission of First Baptist Church, Orlando. The first pastor, V. N. Maggard preached at the inaugural service on October 3, 1954, in what is now the Fellowship Hall at the Pine Hills Campus. The first sanctuary was soon constructed adjacent to the Fellowship Hall.
The Pine Hills Campus was expanded to include a 1300-seat sanctuary. Luther Rice Seminary was begun in May 1984, and 50 acres on Good Homes Road was purchased to expand Central Florida Christian Academy and to provide for continued church growth.
On July 20, 1994, the members of First Baptist Church of Pine Hills voted to change the church’s name to “First Baptist Church of Central Florida” in order to better express the vision to reach all of Central Florida and beyond for Jesus Christ.
In October, 2003, our current pastor, Dr. Clayton Cloer, was called as our Senior Pastor.
We have grown to an average Sunday attendance of 1,800 and continue to grow each week. We have 2 morning services and while other churches may be shutting down on Wednesday, we have averaged over 800 each week.